BAT’s Standards of Business Conduct (SoBC) express the high standards of integrity we are committed to upholding. This Supplier Code of Conduct (Code) complements the SoBC by defining the minimum standards we expect our Suppliers to adhere to.
This Code supports our continuing commitment to respect human rights and is based on international standards, including:
- The United Nations (UN) Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights;
- The International Labour Organization’s (ILO) Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work; and
- The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises.
If this Code conflicts with local laws, then the laws take precedence.
Scope and application
This Code applies to all Suppliers to BAT, as defined here.
Suppliers are expected to meet the requirements of this Code and this is incorporated into our contractual arrangements.
In addition, Suppliers should:
- Take steps to ensure that all their Workers, Suppliers, agents, sub-contractors and other relevant third parties understand and adhere to the requirements of this Code, including (where appropriate in terms of the nature of Supplier and the goods or services provided) maintaining adequate policies, procedures, due diligence, training and support.
- Promote adherence to the requirements of this Code and conduct appropriate due diligence within their own supply chain for their own new and existing Suppliers (including farmers where relevant).
Contacting the Group
Any information that Suppliers are required to report to the Group under this Code should be communicated to:
- The Supplier’s usual Group company contact; or
- The BAT Group Head of Procurement by email (email@example.com), phone (+44 (0) 207 845 1000) or by writing to them at British American Tobacco plc, Globe House, 4 Temple Place, London WC2R 2PG, United Kingdom.
‘BAT’, ‘Group’ ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ means British American Tobacco plc. and all its subsidiaries.
‘SoBC’ means the Group Standards of Business Conduct, available at www.bat.com/sobc and/or in our SoBC app, local versions of the SoBC adopted by a Group company and available on their local website.
‘Code’ means this Supplier Code of Conduct, available at www.bat.com/principles, www.bat.com/suppliercode and in our SoBC app.
‘Suppliers’ means any third party that supplies or provides direct product materials or indirect goods or services to any BAT Group company, including consultants, independent contractors, agents, manufacturers, primary producers, sub-contractors, distributors and wholesalers.
‘Workers’ means suppliers’ employees, workers and contractors, including permanent, full-time, part-time, temporary, contingent, sub-contracted, agency and migrant workers.