Steering the behaviours of our business and our people
Our ethos is about being bold, fast, empowered, responsible and diverse to create a future-fit culture at BAT.
Our vision is to build A Better Tomorrow™ by reducing the health impact of our business through offering a greater choice of enjoyable products for our consumers.
Launched in 2020, a key driver to deliver this will be our ethos – an evolution of our Guiding Principles – which guides behaviours across the entire Group.
Since becoming Chief Executive in April 2019, Jack Bowles has focused on creating a stronger, simpler, faster business, with a culture reflecting our ethos.
Developed with significant input from our employees, our ethos is the thread that must run through everything we do and how we do it, and we believe it empowers our people, fosters a vibrant and rewarding work place and promotes sustainable long-term value.
For our long-time BAT employees and those who have more recently joined, we are inspiring an ethos that is responsive to constant change, embodies a learning culture and that is dedicated to continuous improvement.
We are bold
- Dream big – with innovative ideas.
- Make tough decisions quickly and proudly stand accountable for them.
- Resilient and fearless to compete.
We are fast
- Speed matters. Set clear direction and move fast.
- Keep it simple. Focus on outcomes.
- Learn quickly and share learnings.
We are empowered
- Set the context for our teams and trust their expertise.
- Challenge each other. Once in agreement, we commit collectively.
- Collaborate and hold each other accountable to deliver.
We are diverse
- Value different perspectives.
- Build on each others’ ideas, knowledge and experiences.
- Challenge ourselves to be open-minded recognising unconscious bias.
We are responsible
- Take action to reduce the health impact of our business.
- Ensure the best quality products for our consumers, the best place to work for our people, and the best results for shareholders.
- Act with integrity, never compromising our standards and ethics.