News and stories07 April 2022
BAT recognised again as a Climate Leader by the Financial Times
We’ve been named in the ‘Europe’s Climate Leaders 2022’ listing.
BAT has been named as a Climate Leader for the second successive year by the Financial Times in its annual European listing.
FT-Statista's ‘Europe’s Climate Leaders 2022’ recognises the top 400 of around 4,000 companies across Europe that achieved the highest reduction in core greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity – emissions relative to revenue - between 2015 and 2020. BAT’s 16.9% reduction in “core” scopes 1 and 2 GHG emissions intensity in that period, as stated in the listing, places us in the top 3% of companies surveyed.
Anna Mitchell, Group Head of Business Communications and Sustainability at BAT, said: “We are delighted to be named again by the Financial Times as one of the companies leading the charge against climate impact. This recognition demonstrates BAT’s commitment to responsible business and to reducing negative environmental effects.
“Sustainability and a strong ESG agenda are core to our purpose and long-term business strategy. Being recognised for the second consecutive year by the Financial Times is a positive signal that we are making progress.”
At BAT, our purpose is to build A Better Tomorrow™ by reducing the health impact of our business. That’s why we are transforming: creating new products, backed by science, that provide adult smokers with enjoyable, less risky alternatives*†
The BAT of tomorrow will be a high-growth, consumer goods business: global, consumer-centric, multi-category, with sustainability at its core. BAT has set ambitious climate targets, including to be carbon neutral across its operations by 2030 and net zero emissions across its value chain by 2050. Also, in 2021 BAT signed up to the UN-backed Race to Zero global campaign.
Our ESG Report 2021 provides details of our climate strategy and progress in decarbonising our business operations and value chain. 2021 performance highlights include:
- 42.7% reduction in Scope 1 and 2 CO2e emissions versus 2017 baseline
- 64.4% of electricity sourced for operations sites that is renewable
- For 2020, 20% reduction in Scope 3 CO2e emissions versus 2017 baseline
BAT’s sustainability leadership has been recognised by a raft of ratings and awards. Most recently, our world number one1 global vapour brand Vuse won the gold award at the prestigious Transform Awards Europe 2022 for ‘Best Use of Sustainable Packaging'. This follows recognition for the Vuse at the SEAL sustainability awards, having last year become the first global carbon neutral vape brand2.
In 2021, we were once again the only tobacco company to be included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, our 20th consecutive year in the prestigious indices.
- The ‘Europe’s Climate Leaders 2022’ listing is compiled by the Financial Times, in association with data experts, Statista.
* Based on the weight of evidence and assuming a complete switch from cigarette smoking. These products are not risk free and are addictive.
† Our products as sold in the US, including Vuse, Velo, Grizzly, Kodiak, and Camel Snus, are subject to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation and no reduced-risk claims will be made as to these products without FDA clearance.
- Based on Vype/Vuse estimated value share from Recommended Retail Price (RRP) in measured retail for vapour (i.e. total vapour category value in retail sales) in the USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany. These five markets cover an estimated 77% of global vapour closed system net turnover (NTO), calculated in June - July 2021.
- Based on ePod, ePen, eTank mini, Alto devices and consumables internal sales forecast (calculated March 2021) for 12 months starting from April 2021. Vuse’s carbon neutrality has been independently validated by Vertis based on product Life Cycle Assessment data provided by an independent third party.