RAI Group a ‘Best Place to Work for LGBTQ equality’
The Reynolds American Inc Group (RAI), our business in the U.S., has been designated as a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
30 January 2020
Our colleagues at RAI scored 100% on the HRCF’s 2020 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) , the U.S.’s premier benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ workplace equality.
RAI has a long history of participating in the CEI, but this is the first time the organisation has scored 100%. This is due, in part, to several recent policies and actions, including:
- RAI president and CEO, Ricardo Oberlander, signing the pledge for CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion™
- a comprehensive parental leave policy with 16 weeks of paid leave for new parents
- employee resource groups , which are communities of individuals formed around common interests or backgrounds and that provide an opportunity to enhance organisational culture.
Ricardo said: “Within our organisation, diversity and inclusion are integral to our ability to transform tobacco, innovate, and succeed. Across our companies, we work purposefully and tirelessly to develop and implement meaningful programs that help all people thrive.
“The RAI Group, along with our parent company, British American Tobacco Group, is fully committed to fostering an environment in which diversity and inclusion is valued, sought and championed. This recognition, as well as my signing the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion pledge, evidences that.”
The CEI rates companies and top law firms on detailed criteria falling under five broad categories:
- non-discrimination policies
- employment benefits
- demonstrated organisational competency and accountability around LGBTQ diversity and inclusion
- public commitment to LGBTQ equality
- responsible citizenship
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the educational arm of America's largest civil rights organisation, working to achieve equality for LGBTQ people.
Talking about the companies included on the CEI, HRC President Alphonso David said: “They know that protecting their LGBTQ employees and customers from discrimination is not just the right thing to do – it is also the best business decision. These companies understand their LGBTQ employees and customers deserve to be seen, valued and respected not only at work, but in every aspect of daily life.”
The full report is available at www.hrc.org/cei .