Finance and Transformation Director
I became Finance and Transformation Director in February 2021, with responsibility for the leadership and design of BAT’s Quest transformation programme to accelerate the delivery of our Group strategy.
Prior to that I became Finance Director in August 2019, having been appointed as Deputy Finance Director in March of the same year. I succeeded the now retired Ben Stevens, an outstanding Finance Director who was instrumental in ensuring the company , over many years, delivered consistent earnings and dividend growth.
A Better Tomorrow™
A Better Tomorrow™ is a great vision for BAT. It will satisfy our consumers; potentially benefit society; inspire our employees; and ensure we deliver value for our shareholders as we create a sustainable business for the next 100 years. Defining an ambition and seeing it being delivered is very fulfilling.
Before taking on the above roles, I was Director, Group Transformation, working with our Chief Executive Jack Bowles to further simplify our structure and processes so that we can accelerate our transformation.
I’ve been with BAT since 1992 and, looking back, my decision to join the Group in Brazil was an easy one to make. BAT is seen as a reference of excellence back home and I knew it would provide a perfect environment to learn and develop.
That’s certainly been the case in all the various national, regional and global leadership roles I had before I joined the Management Board in 2014 as Business Development Director.
One of the things I still find so interesting about BAT is the diversity of the business – the many different cultures you experience as well as the range of markets, each of which has its own challenges and opportunities. Prior to becoming Director, Group Transformation, I was Regional Director of Europe and North Africa. This is a truly fascinating region and one where, as well as maintaining a successful combustibles business, there are great opportunities for our portfolio of New Category products.
I have had an amazing personal journey at BAT. And having been involved in transformational initiatives for the company, such as programmes to establish BAT as a globally-integrated enterprise and various business acquisitions, I am very excited about the future that lies ahead for our company.
Career to date
- 1992: Joins Souza Cruz in Brazil and experiences various finance roles across the business, including in Marketing, Operations and Leaf
- 2003: Becomes Finance Director for BAT Venezuela and, in 2005, for BAT Colombia as well
- 2006: Appointed Management Finance Controller in London
- 2007: Becomes Group Head of Operations Finance
- 2010: Takes on first senior regional role as Regional Finance Controller – Eastern Europe
- 2012: Appointed Group Finance Controller
- 2014: Joins the Management Board as Business Development Director
- 2016: Appointed Regional Director, Western Europe
- 2018: Third Management Board role as Regional Director, Europe and North Africa
- 2019: Appointed Director, Group Transformation and Deputy Finance Director
- 2019: Becomes the Group’s Finance Director
- 2021: Role expands to become Finance and Transformation Director
- Degree in electrical engineering from the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
- MBA at the COPPEAD Graduate School of Business in Brazil and the ESSEC Business School in France
I am married with two sons and we love the cultural life here in London, especially going to the theatre and watching musicals. I am a big football fan and a season-ticket holder at Arsenal. My son and I love motor racing, especially F1, so I have especially enjoyed our global partnership with McLaren.