President and CEO, Reynolds American Inc.
I was very proud to be appointed as President and CEO of Reynolds American Inc. in September 2020. My role is to provide the leadership that aligns the company with BAT’s overall strategy and ensures that our American business continues making significant contributions to the Group.
A Better Tomorrow™
At BAT we are making great strides in terms of our ambition to offer a wider range of new category products that help satisfy ever-evolving adult consumer needs.
We have strong foundations as a business, and our clear vision to build A Better Tomorrow™ for all our stakeholders means that we are well- placed to deliver today, while ensuring that BAT remains a successful company long into the future.
Reynolds American Inc. is a key contributor on this journey, and I’m confident that our expanding portfolio of innovative products can continue to deliver huge value to the BAT Group.
It’s a tremendous honour to lead one of the most diverse and dynamic parts of the BAT business. The U.S. is a highly competitive market with a rich history and a bright future. I know that I’m leading a winning team.
Among our top priorities is the commercial success of our new category products and maintaining momentum in combustibles. Our team thrives on delivering results, and we are focused on continued talent development, both to make contributions in the U.S. and as we share talent and expertise across the entire BAT organisation.
I first joined the BAT Management Board as Regional Director, Asia-Pacific and Middle East. Having lived, worked and travelled in the region for most of my life, it’s a part of the world that I knew well.
As a young graduate in Sydney, Australia, in the nineties, two things attracted me to BAT that still resonate today: superb training and development and the exciting career opportunities in a truly global organisation. I had many different roles in my first few years, and while it may not compare to the sophisticated graduate programmes we have now, the experience I gained was second to none among my peer group.
Across BAT, the sense of camaraderie and collaboration, of being part of a winning team, and, of course, our diversity, set us apart. I have developed as a person and as a leader by working with people from so many different countries and cultures and have learned to look at opportunities and challenges from different perspectives that go beyond our normal, ingrained ways of thinking.
Nationality: New Zealand
Career to date
- 1993: Joins BAT Australia as a graduate trainee in Sales and Marketing
- 1996: Leaves BAT to spend two years at Kellogg
- 1998: Returns to BAT, based in the UK and Switzerland in various marketing roles
- 2002: Begins five-year stint at BAT Australia in senior business unit and sales roles
- 2007: Becomes Asia-Pacific Regional Head of Trade and General Manager Asia-Pacific Travel Retail
- 2008: Joins BAT Korea as Marketing Director
- 2011: Moves to Russia to become Marketing Director for BAT Russia
- 2012: Appointed President of BAT Korea
- 2015: Becomes Area Director of BAT’s North Asia Area
- 2016: Appointed Area Director of BAT’s Australasia Area
- 2019: Joins the Management Board as Regional Director, Asia-Pacific and Middle East
- 2020: Appointed as President and CEO of Reynolds American Inc.
- Bachelor of Economics, Macquarie University, Australia
- Programme for Executive Development, IMD Business School, Switzerland
- BPSE Programme, IMD Business School, Switzerland
I actually met my wife through BAT and we have been married for 20 years and have two teenage children – the eldest, my son, is now studying in central London. I enjoy reading and I love sport, particularly rugby and rowing, and keep myself fit trail walking and attempting Pilates.