British American Tobacco unveils new-to-world vaping technology
11 December 2018
- New Vype e-cigarettes – iSwitch and iSwitch Maxx – contain world-first vaping technology – replacing the traditional coil and wick heating system.
- The new vaping technology – Vype puretech – results in a more satisfying, smoother and richer vape with around 99% less toxicants* – the biggest reduction that BAT has seen in any of its vapour products.
- Bluetooth-enabled iSwitch Maxx offers the most ‘connected’ vaping experience seen from the Vype portfolio.
- Vype iSwitch and Vype iSwitch Maxx are the latest innovations from British American Tobacco, as the company seeks to transform tobacco by offering adult smokers a range of potentially reduced-risk products, such as vapour, tobacco heating and oral tobacco and nicotine products.
British American Tobacco (BAT) has today announced the launch of two new e-cigarettes – Vype iSwitch and Vype iSwitch Maxx – in five of BAT’s VIP branded stores in London. The new products are powered by world-first vaping technology, Vype puretech, as BAT seeks to provide an even more satisfying option to adult smokers looking for a potentially reduced-risk alternative to traditional cigarettes. The new products are aimed at smokers who have yet to find a vaping alternative that satisfies them.
Powered by world-first technology – Vype puretech
Vype iSwitch and Vype iSwitch Maxx are driven by new-to-world puretech blade technology – replacing the coil and wick heating mechanism traditionally found in e-cigarettes. This breakthrough heating technology is proprietary to BAT and protected by multiple patents.
- It is a fabric-free technology – an ultra-slim stainless-steel blade, which replaces the traditional coil and wick, heating the e-liquid to create the vapour which the consumer inhales.
- The blade, which is around the thickness of a human hair, has a surface area ten times larger than a traditional coil and wick heating system, providing a much more precise and measured way to heat the e-liquid.
- Results in increased consumer taste satisfaction by ensuring a smoother, richer and more consistent vape.
- The power and design of the technology delivers nicotine more effectively – even with lower strength nicotine e-liquids.
- Vype puretech, as tested on Vype iSwitch, also produces a vapour which contains around 99% less toxicants than the smoke from a conventional cigarette* – the biggest reduction, to date, that BAT has seen in its portfolio of Vype vapour products.
Introducing the devices – Vype iSwitch and Vype iSwitch Maxx
The new range has been designed to have a premium look and feel – it comes in a choice of three colours – deep blue metallic, silver and black – and has a soft-touch finish to fit smoothly and conveniently into consumers’ hands.
Vype iSwitch and Vype iSwitch Maxx are closed-system vaping devices with consumer-centric design features, such as the ‘slide and lock’ mechanism to easily change the specially designed cartridges – containing Vype puretech blades. The cartridges are available in three flavours (Fresh Mint, Virginia Tobacco and Forest Berries) and three nicotine strengths (3mg/ml, 5mg/ml and 8mg/ml).
Additional features in Vype iSwitch Maxx are:
- Higher power capacity with a larger battery than Vype iSwitch (1500mAh)
- Three power settings (10W, 15W and 20W) easily controlled with a button. The higher the power setting, the greater the amount of vapour produced.
- BAT’s most interactive vapour device. Bluetooth enabled, it connects with a myVype app (available from Google Play) to give consumers full control which is a first for the Vype brand. Through the app, consumers can tailor their device’s power setting; remotely lock the device ensuring no one else can use it; monitor puff count, battery level and device performance to track their usage; and also have access to tips and news. It allows consumers to take control and customise their vaping experience.
The choice of devices, power settings, flavours and nicotine strengths are part of BAT’s strategy to satisfy varying consumer tastes and preferences.
Commenting on the new products, Elly Criticou, BAT’s Vapour Category Director, said: “We are delighted to be bringing this ground-breaking technology to UK smokers and nicotine users. In a new and emerging consumer category, with rapid innovation, it is important that we continuously look for ways to improve our consumer offering.
“It is great that almost 1.7m smokers1 in the UK have quit using e-cigarettes but there are many more smokers who have yet to find a satisfying vaping alternative. We believe that our new Vype iSwitch products offer adult smokers a more satisfying – smoother, richer and more luxurious – vaping experience than ever before. We don’t want smokers to have to compromise with vaping – we want to deliver best in class products that satisfy various consumer preferences, which is why we offer a portfolio of potentially reduced-risk products from which they can choose.”
Vype iSwitch and iSwitch Maxx are currently available to purchase in five of BAT’s VIP stores in London (Finchley Road, Brent Cross, Harrow, Hounslow and Walton on Thames) with plans to roll them out further in the UK and online in 2019. The recommended retail price for iSwitch is £29.99 and iSwitch Maxx is £49.99. A pack of two puretech blade cartridges is £8.99. This limited launch is intended to facilitate consumer interaction with the new product so that the company can take learnings and consumer feedback ahead of a wider roll-out.
Every element of the Vype iSwitch has been subjected to rigorous testing to ensure it meets stringent safety and quality standards.
* Comparison of smoke from a standard reference cigarette (approx. 9mg tar) and vapour from Vype iSwitch, in terms of the 9 harmful components the World Health Organization recommends to reduce in cigarette smoke. This quality does not necessarily mean this product is less harmful than tobacco products.
1 Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) – September 2018