A sustainable approach
A sustainability agenda for A Better Tomorrow™
We have a long and proud history of sustainability achievements, but today we are transitioning from being a business where sustainability has always been important to one where it is front and centre in all that we do.
Over the past 20 years, we’ve made significant progress on our sustainability journey, as reflected by our presence in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) for 20 consecutive years and the other notable independent recognition we have received.
Yet our approach needs to constantly develop, much as the world around us is evolving – from increasing expectations of the role of business in contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and addressing climate change; to evolving consumer preferences and the emergence of new category products, such as vapour products that offer reduced risks*† for the estimated 19% of the world’s population who continue to smoke cigarettes.
Just as we are committed to making a step change in our New Categories performance, we are also committed to making a step change in our sustainability ambition. Recently, we have announced a number of stretching targets that we are confident will accelerate our purpose to deliver A Better Tomorrow™ for all our stakeholders, including:
- increasing our consumers of non-combustible products to 50 million by 2030
- achieving carbon neutrality for our own business activities and for our value chain by 20501
- accelerating our existing environmental targets to 2025
- Eliminating unnecessary single-use plastic and making all plastic packaging reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025
- 100% renewable electricity in operations sites by 2030;
Our sustainability agenda
We have evolved our Group strategy with the purpose of delivering A Better Tomorrow™ for all our stakeholders. At its heart, our evolved strategy is about anticipating and satisfying the ever-evolving consumer: providing pleasure, reducing risk and offering increasing choice.
Central to this evolved strategy is our updated sustainability agenda which has been refreshed to reflect the changing external environment. Specifically, we are clear that reducing the health impact of our business is our principal focus area, as well as placing a greater emphasis on the importance of addressing climate change and excellence in environmental management. At the same time, we remain committed to delivering a positive social impact and ensuring robust corporate governance across the Group.
The diagram below sets out our sustainability agenda in full and you will be able to read more about the agenda and our progress against it in our 2021 ESG Report.
Reducing the HEALTH impact of our business
Standards and regulation
Excellence in ENVIRONMENTAL management
- Climate change
- Biodiversity and afforestation
Robust corporate GOVERNANCE
- Business ethics
- Responsible marketing
- Regulation and policy engagement
Creating shared value for
A key strength of our approach to sustainability is a robust process to identify and understand the most material environmental, social and governance (ESG) topics that drive our long-term business sustainability and value creation. Each year we engage with a wide range of stakeholders to understand what matters to them most and complement this with ongoing risk monitoring, research and benchmarking.
This comprehensive approach to evolving our Sustainability Agenda ensures we keep pace with emerging topics and stakeholder expectations.
Along with our principal focus on reducing the health impact of our business, we retain a strong focus on other ESG priorities. Together, this approach helps to create shared value for our consumers, society, our employees and our shareholders. Ultimately, it’s about building towards ‘A Better Tomorrow™’ not just for BAT, but for all our stakeholders.
Progress in 2021
Reducing the health impact of our business
- £2.1 billion of our revenues came from New Categories in 2021, representing 42% growth compared to 2020
- Increased non-combustibles consumer base to 18.3 million, adding +4.8 million consumers in 2021.
Excellence in Environmental Management
- 42.7% reduction in Scope 1 and 2 emissions; climate risk scenario analysis for major tobacco-growing markets
- 27.6% reduction in water withdrawn
- Over 99.9% wood used for tobacco curing by our contracted farmers is from sustainable sources
- Waste mapping across our value chain and independent review of our packaging materials for recyclability, with results showing 75% of our plastic packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable
Delivering a Positive Social Impact
- 99.9% of tobacco farms monitored for child labour
- 142 audits were conducted on our suppliers in 38 countries
- 19% reduction in total accidents from previous year
- 39% female representation in management roles
Robust Corporate Governance
100% of Group employees completed Standards of Business Conduct sign-off and training
- We introduced additional toolkits and guidance, such as applying our Youth Access Prevention Guidelines and age verification standards on our own and third-party e-commerce sites We established our new Digital Confidence Unit. This is a centralised social audit and reputation management team covering all brand-related digital communications and marketing across the Group
- In 2021, we launched a new training programme, iCommit,covering measures for ensuring IMP and YAP compliance across our digital channels.
DROP THE POD
As part of our sustainability efforts, we are running a programme to make it as easy as possible for our adult vapour consumers to do their bit to help the planet in relation to waste. Our ambition is that together we can reduce landfill.
Vuse vapour products use replaceable e-liquid pods that are sold separately to the device.
These are electronic products sometimes containing nicotine and require specialist recycling. So, in 2021, we established a partnership with a leading waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) processing organisation.
This partnership developed a solution that can be deployed by our markets through strategic recycling partners.
This is a major step in delivering a globally consistent, yet local, solution for pod recycling. Potential uses for the recycled pods include making furniture for BAT’s own vapour stores and buildings.
We will continue to assess Drop the Pod expansion in 2022 and 2023. We’re already seeing positive results in our pilot markets. For example, in the first eight months of Drop the Pod in South Africa, over 1.5 million pods were returned.
The video below shows how the DROP THE POD sustainability pilot programme works.
- Please note this content was produced prior to COVID-19 measures being implemented.
- Based on Scope 1 and 2 carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions.
* Based on the weight of evidence and assuming a complete switch from cigarette smoking. These products are not risk free and are addictive.
† Our products as sold in the US, including Vuse, Velo, Grizzly, Kodiak, and Camel Snus, are subject to FDA regulation and no reduced-risk claims will be made as to these products without agency clearance.