British American Tobacco - Share dealing and transferring

Quick Navigation

Jump to content Logo
BAT 2587.00p

Share dealing and transferring

Buying and selling shares

Some high street banks provide facilities for buying and selling shares or you can contact a stockbroker.

Computershare Investor Services PLC (‘Computershare’), who are Registrars for British American Tobacco, also offer both a postal and an internet share dealing service.

This is not a recommendation to buy, sell or hold shares in British American Tobacco p.l.c. Shareholders who are unsure what action to take should contact a financial advisor authorised under the UK's Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. Share values may go down as well as up, which may result in a shareholder receiving less than he/she originally invested.

For information on Computershare’s share dealing services please go to: 

Alternatively please contact Computershare on 0800 408 0094 or from outside the UK, +44 370 703 0112 between 8.30am and 5.30pm Monday – Friday (excluding UK public holidays), or at:

Computershare Investor Services PLC
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6ZY

Transfer of shares

You may at some point wish to transfer your shares to someone else (for example, your spouse or partner or in an 'off market' sale). As these transactions usually do not involve a stockbroker, you can use a stock transfer form, which can be obtained from Computershare.
Stamp duty may be payable on the value of the shares that you transfer. For an up to date explanation of how this works, please visit the HM Revenue and Customs  website.

If a spouse/partner/relative has passed away you should contact Computershare at your earliest opportunity to establish which documents you will need to forward to them. This may involve a Certificate of Confirmation or Small Estates procedure, Grant of Probate/Letters of Administration. Computershare will ensure that this process is made as straightforward as possible for you.
Many of the forms referred to above may downloaded on the Computershare  website. You will be taken to the Shareholding Section where you will need your Shareholder Reference Number or SRN* to progress to Account Details field from where you can access the form(s) that you require.