We are the world’s second largest quoted tobacco group by market share, with brands sold in more than 180 markets.
We have four global drive brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike and Pall Mall – and over 250 local brands in our portfolio. We hold robust market positions in each of our regions and are the leading tobacco company in more than 50 markets.
We employ more than 60,000 people worldwide and have 50 cigarette factories based in 41 countries. In 2009, we sold some 724 billion cigarettes.
Our Group vision is to achieve leadership of the global tobacco industry in order to create shareholder value. This includes leading our industry as the preferred partner of key stakeholders and demonstrating responsibility.
Our strategy to deliver our vision is based on:
- Growth, both organic and through mergers and acquisitions;
- Productivity, through effective and efficient deployment of our global resources;
- Responsibility, by building a sustainable business that meets stakeholder expectations; and
- Developing a winning organisation.
Our sustainability agenda is an integral part of delivering this strategy and comprises five goals. We will:
- Strive to bring commercially viable, consumer acceptable reduced-risk products to market;
- Take a lead in upholding high standards of corporate conduct within our marketplace;
- Work for positive social, environmental and economic impacts in our supply chain;
- Actively address the impacts of our business on the natural environment; and
- Work to ensure we have the right people and culture to meet our goals.
You can read more about our Group strategy at www.bat.com .
Our global presence
Since our business was founded in 1902, we have become one of the world’s most internationally diverse tobacco groups, in terms of our locations and our multicultural workforce. The Group is organised into five regions: Africa and Middle East; Americas; Asia-Pacific; Eastern Europe and
We welcome your feedback about our sustainability agenda and any aspect of this Report. You can email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes
In 2009, we were, for the eighth year running, the only tobacco company included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. This index tracks the economic, environmental and social performance of leading companies based on how well they integrate sustainability into their businesses. In 2009, our overall score decreased from 84 per cent to 81 per cent. We are working to understand and address the reasons for this decrease.
Business in the Community
In 2009, British American Tobacco was included in the Platinum sector of the UK’s Business in the Community 2008 Corporate Responsibility Index, with a score of 96.5 per cent. We are the first tobacco company to achieve Platinum status.